A Look at What’s Happening at Stone Soup February-March
The month of February just flew by so quickly! Programs and services are engaging many children and families. There have been many opportunities for partnerships and collaborations that continue to inspire our work. We are most thankful to contributions and support from our friends in the community.
Here’s a quick look at what we’ve been up to…
• ELA (Early Learning Academy) children are so excited about their field trip to the Monterey Bay Aquarium in June! They are gearing up by learning about sea animals and sea life. We have met our fundraising goal for the trip! A BIG thank you to our friends at the College Community Congregational Church for sponsor the field trip! Thank you to our parents who have also made donations!
• Play Group children and parents celebrated lots of hugs and kisses at their Valentine’s Day party. Young children are meeting milestones and improving social and emotional skills!
• Strong Families program parents learned about higher education and the many ways in which they can support their children’s preparedness for college. Two presenters shared their college experiences and tips on how parents can financially support their children through college. Parents are looking forward to a visit to the CSU Fresno campus. This will be their very first visit on a university campus. Parents enrolled in ESL and citizenship classes are half-way through their classes and preparing for mock interviews. Volunteer mock interviewers are always welcome.
• Parent Leadership Group’s first educational forum was a hit! Two parents presented to their peers about strategies on how to help children stay on top of their homework and enjoy learning. Parents learned about the importance of keeping a family calendar and learned new ideas to motivate children to stay engaged after school.
• Staff joined other local leaders at a seminar on the new healthcare benefits exchange. The seminar provided a wealth of information about the governing body for the healthcare insurance system that will link constituencies to information and resources. Additional training for staff on the affordable care act is scheduled for March.
• The ELA and Play Group programs welcomed the first WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) intern of the year. The internship places nutrition/dietetic students in programs that serve demographically diverse populations. This encourages hands-on learning and experience.
Upcoming events/activities for March
• March 1st – Citizenship Class Mock Interviews
• March 24th – Parent group tour of CSU Fresno campus
• March 30th – Parent Leadership Forum: Test Taking Strategies